Final Clockwork Game post

Thanks for reading, everyone. It’s meant so much to know so many folks were pulling for me to finish this story. The final Signal Boost of the Week goes to all of you. Thank you, every last one of you.

As I mention over on the site itself:

Work is progressing well on the print edition: the InDesign file is complete and is out with my editors, the foreword is being written by the award-winning Nisi Shawl, and with luck, I should have a Kickstarter up soon. I have an estimate from my printer, have spoken with my Diamond rep, and my hope is to have physical copies in hand by Christmas.

If you’d like to be notified of the Kickstarter, Clockwork Game‘s appearance in PREVIEWS and of any upcoming convention appearances I might make next year, please sign up for the Clockwork Game Newsletter. I won’t share your email with anyone, and won’t send you more than about three updates a year.

Thanks again for being such great readers, and for all your support over the years.

20 Comments

1. John-David Kraaikamp

September 12, 2013 at 6:33 am

I have fashioned a TVTropes Page for this webcomic. I hope I have been accurate enough.

• fierystudios

September 12, 2013 at 7:19 am

I’ve been enjoying watching it come together. Thanks, Lynx!

• John-David Kraaikamp

September 13, 2013 at 7:33 am

I had hoped you would finish it either by Silas Mitchell writing about the truth of the automaton (he figured there would be no harm, as the machine didn’t exist), or by the building of its modern replica–which, interestingly, uses the original chessboard.

• fierystudios

September 13, 2013 at 9:13 am

Yeah, I had a kind of coda written originally, with the modern replica, but I ended up liking this ending better.

The funny thing about Weir Mitchell is that he described the automaton’s inner workings rather inccorrectly in “Last of a Veteran Chess-Player.” In my research papers, I have a photocopy of a letter written by one of the last men to operate the automaton, and he specifically calls Weir Mitchell out on his inaccuracies. It would’ve been rather difficult to capture all of that in comic format and make it clear (and not boring) so I ended up just giving Weir Mitchell a cameo at the end.

I am impressed, though, at how much of the history you remember!

• John-David Kraaikamp

September 28, 2013 at 11:51 pm

If you do successfully put this in book form, perhaps you could have such a ‘coda’ (or in this case, an epilogue) as an extra for the book, but not have it online.

• fierystudios

September 29, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ll be going with the ending I have online. I appreciate your input, though!

2. Thanks a lot for creating this. It’s been fantastic to follow the story over the years. I’ve signed up to be notified for the Kickstarter.

• fierystudios

September 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thank you! Hopefully it will be very soon. I’m gathering the bed music and images for the video right now, and have a couple friends lined up to help me with the editing.

3. I stumbled on ‘The Clockwork Game’ quite by accident while doing research on automata. Initially I was more interested in your sources, most of which I had been aware of but some of which proved insightful. Then I realised you were illustrating the complete story of The Turk and I was captivated. A simply brilliant retelling of the story with superb graphics. You have achieved something special, combining a well told story of historical significance with wonderful line drawings which bring the reality of The Turk to life. You are to be congratulated.

4. Sad to see it end but ended beautifully. Thanks you for creating this and I am looking forward to the print version!

5. Lucius Appaloosius

September 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thank you for this fascinating peek into history!

6. Congrats on coming to the end of the work. This has been a great read, and I’ve enjoyed following this throughout its run.

The research that went into the piece was fantastic, and the way it got presented was remarkable. This narrative for a long-existing artifact as it wove its way through the centuries was a very satisfying read, and I looked forward to each Thursday’s update.

I’m looking forward to your next work.

• fierystudios

September 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

Thanks, Jim. I had always wanted to do a story in the style of my buddy Jim Ottaviani, and this proved a good outlet for all of my historical nerdery.

Not sure what or when the next project will be, but if you get on one of the newsletters (Vögelein or Clockwork Game) I’ll be sure to let you know.

Thanks for being such a devoted reader!

7. I started reading this early on, and then when you went on your first hiatus, I stopped. I hadn’t realized you started up again until a month or two ago, and I’m awful pleased to have been able to see the end real-time.

Beautiful work as always, and I’ll be pleased to back the Kickstarter when you announce it.

• fierystudios

September 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Thanks so much, Trisha Lynn, and thanks also for the shoutout the other day on your own blog. Much appreciated! :D

8. Two words: Loved it.

I can’t wait for the collected edition. Please include a retailer pack in your Kickstarter!

• fierystudios

September 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Jeremy! So glad you’re still reading.

Alas, I cannot do a retailer pack — I checked with Diamond and doing so would be in violation of my exclusivity contract with them. The good news is that I’ll be in PREVIEWS as soon as the book is printed, so you can still get them the old fashioned way!

Comments are closed.