Man, I'm an artistic masochist lately. This week's page had four separate crowd scenes in it. Four. I am a real glutton for punishment.
On the other hand, I've really crossed a mental line with the story, and despite the horrendous amount of time each page requires of late, I'm having a real blast. The pages are looking a heck of a lot better than they were, and -- fortunately or unfortunately -- I'm probably going to go back and start tinkering with earlier pages once I get this chapter done.
One of the minor benefits of being a self-publisher is that I don't have to release my book until its ready. This can be as much curse as blessing: one has to know when to stop tinkering and print the darn book already. However, it does give me the luxury of going back and bringing the early versions Kempelen and Anthon closer to their final look. I wound up deviating from the model sheet as I found out more about the characters' personalities, because the changes looked better and rang more true than my original designs. It will also give me the chance to make the entire chapter more cohesive, artistically -- the advancements I've made with page composition and execution in the last fifty pages are really visible to me, and I hope they will be to my readers, as well.
So yeah. Visible improvements (at least, I think so, YMMV) are a good thing, except for my free time.